Littleover Community School
Entry Level 3 (Mixed)
19 September 2012
28 November 2012
Wednesday between 19:00 and 21:00
Between 8 and 12 learners.
How will I learn?
- Group based weekly classes
- Home study
- Online resources
Group based weekly classes
- A confidence building environment
- Regular contact with your tutor
- Meet like-minded people
- Time to consolidate learning at your own pace
- Using handouts, set books or by exploring the internet (optional)
- Support from “Derby Learn” (on some courses) see www.derbylearn.net (optional)
- Set book and CD or Cassette tape (your tutor will advise you about this in class)
Your tutor may provide:
- Authentic materials such as menus, timetables, photos etc.
- Video or DVD
- Internet (optional)
What can I expect to be doing in classes?
- Working in a group to learn new vocabulary
- Creating dialogues
- Participating in games and quizzes
- Completing reading and writing exercises
- Listening to taped dialogues
- Watching video or DVDs
- Mnemonic strategies (learning how to improve memory skills)
How will my progress be measured?
Your tutor will:
- assess you informally in class and give you immediate verbal feedback
- Assess your work formally and give you both verbal and written feedback
- You will be encouraged to keep a ‘diary’ of your experiences and consider your confidence, achievements and preferred learning styles
- Accredited courses will be awarded with a certificate upon successful completion of the course requirements (your tutor will tell you more about this)
Is there an exam?
There is no exam in year 1.
You will be expected to complete a series of exercises in class which will be assessed by your tutor. These exercises are designed to measure your speaking and listening skills as well as your reading and writing skills. For example, one of your exercises may be to write a shopping list in your chosen language; another may be to participate in a simple dialogue ‘At the Shop’. This style of continuous assessment gives you the chance to realise and appreciate your own progress.
Aims and Outcomes
What will I be learning?
- to speak basic language in limited predictable situations
- to be understood by a sympathetic native speaker
- some basic grammar which underpins the language
- to read and write the language (and if necessary, learn the relevant alphabet e.g. Greek / Russian / Japanese)
- customs, traditions and culture
An example of topics included in the course:
- Greetings and introductions
- Ordering a meal
- Shopping for basics
- Finding the way (directions)
- At the hotel
- Personal details
(these may vary slightly from course to course; your tutor will provide exact content)
When will my course be held?
There are daytime evening and Saturday morning courses, but not all courses have a choice.
How do I enrol?
Non-Qualification courses are available for enrolment online at: www.adult-learning-derby.org.uk
For all courses:
You can print an enrolment form to complete and send to Rycote Centre, Parker Street, Derby DE1 3HF
Or call our main centres (see next slide) or 01332 717900
To request a brochure please email email@example.com or phone our Helpline 717900
What materials will I need?
For your first lesson, bring:
- lined paper, a biro (black or blue), pencil and eraser. If you have an A4 sized ring binder, this will be useful too.
Your tutor will advise you on which set books to buy and the recommended dictionary for the course, so don’t rush out and buy anything especially beforehand. You will also be advised of any other equipment you may need.
Do I need any prior knowledge?
You will be expected to have a good command of the English language (although this need not be your first language), but no formal qualifications are required.
You will NOT need any prior knowledge of the language you have chosen to learn, but if you would like to prepare yourself in advance, a simple inexpensive phrase book may help or alternatively visit the BBC languages website; they have short interactive courses, free, for the basics in some languages, to whet your appetite: http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages
What happens if I miss a few lessons?
If you miss the odd lesson during the course, you will be issued with the missed handouts (you may be able to download them from the internet) and you will be given advice on what home study you should do to enable you to keep up.
What happens if I don’t complete the course?
If for some reason, you are unable to complete the course, you must inform either the tutor or the administrators in the office. Depending on how much work you have completed, you may be awarded a partial certificate for the credits that you achieved (accredited courses only). Refunding of fees will need to be discussed with the centre office, on an individual basis.
Please note, refunds, if awarded, may take up to 6 weeks to process if you paid via cheque or cash.
By the end of the course...
You can expect to:
- be able to communicate at a basic level in your chosen language
- have a sound grasp of the basic vocabulary to enable further studies
- have learned about some culture and traditions of the country
- receive a certificate of achievement (on accredited courses only) or a certificate of attendance
- Lasting friendships
- A sense of well deserved achievement
Motivation and confidence
Health and Wellbeing
The slogan you see on our brochures and leaflets is:
meet enjoy learn achieve
This is because we believe that taking part in adult and community learning can open the door to new friendships, give you something enjoyable and worthwhile to do with your time, enable you to learn something new and give you a sense of achievement. That's got to make you feel good!
Littleover Community School
Pastures Hill, Littleover, Derby, DE23 4BZ
Ample Car Parking
Cycle Parking Available
Caretaker on site
Disabled Access to
Ground Floor only
Disabled Parking available
Take Burton Road A5250, from Derby City Centre. Keep going straight on, then right into Littleover until Burton Road changes to Pastures Hill. Littleover School is on the right hand side. 01332 510746
HQ Trent Barton Harlequin
If you would like more information about this course or wish to enrol, please contact via:
Littleover Community School
We are open:
Monday & Wednesday 6pm to 9pm (Term time only)
Pastures Hill, Littleover, Derby, DE23 4BZ Find Us
Send your enrolment enquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To pay by credit/debit card or for more information about this course, please contact us on 01332 641180.
Category A Fee:
Category B Fee:
Category C Fee:
You can also see more information on Fees & Reductions.
Note: Please bring evidence of eligibility for fee reduction to the first class.