ESOL L1 L2
ESOL L1 L2
Village Learning Centre
Preparation for life
Level 2 (Mixed)
11 September 2017
20 June 2018
Monday between 10:00 and 12:00
Wednesday between 10:00 and 12:00
Friday between 10:00 and 12:00
Between 10 and 15 learners.
NOTE: This course has already started.
What will I be learning?
You will be studying English used in work and everyday situations. Areas of study will include:
- Health and Sport
- Travel and Transport
- Friends and Family
- Work and Employability
- Hobbies & Interests
- Social Media
Speaking and listening:
- Listen for detail (variety of topics)
- Give verbal descriptions of events
- Share news
- Conduct a discussion (10-15 mins)
- Deliver a presentation (L1: 5-10 mins, L2: 10-15 mins) and answer questions from audience
- Give feedback to a presentation
- Read and understand a variety of texts (informative, instructive, persuasive, descriptive etc.)
- Understand purpose of text and tone of text
- Understand layout /textual features (headings, logos, captions, bullet points etc)
- Understand idiomatic language
- Write a formal letter
- Write an article / essay
- Use complex and compound sentences
- Use correct spelling and punctuation
- Use paragraphs
- Draft a plan
- Use sequence markers and discourse markers
- Past, present and future tenses (simple and continuous) – statements, questions and negatives
- Modal verbs (including the past aspect)
- Conditionals 1&2 (L1), 1,2,3 (L2)
- The passive
- Reported speech (L2)
- Linking words
- Phrasal verbs
- Prepositional phrases
Does the course lead to a qualification?
Level 1: City and Guilds ESOL qualification at Level 1 (reading, writing, speaking and listening)
Level 2: City and Guilds ESOL qualification at Level 2 (reading, writing, speaking and listening)
Who is the course for?
The course is for learners meeting certain eligibility criteria wanting to improve their English Language skills and achieve a recognised qualification
All learners must meet at least one of the eligibility criteria before they can join this course:
- Evidence of being an EU citizen – a passport or an EU identity card
- Evidence of a Refugee status
- Evidence of being an Asylum Seeker living in the UK for over 6 months
- Evidence of living in the UK for 3 years or more if not married to a British National
- Evidence of living in the UK for 3 year or more if married to a British National
- Evidence of living in the EU for 3 years or more if from a non EU country
What do I need to bring?
Pen, paper, folder and a dual language dictionary
Are there any additional costs?
Exam cost for fee payers - £20.60 per unit
How will I know how I am progressing during the course?
Your tutor will keep a written record of your Individual Learning Plan (ILP) and progression throughout the course you are attending. You will also have continuous verbal feedback on your progression.
You will reflect on your own learning and record it on your Individual Learning Plan.
Your tutor will let you know when you are ready for an exam after which you can progress onto a different skill or a higher level group. Exams are offered on demand. Therefore, you will not have to wait until the end of your course to take an exam
Can I have help in the class?
If you need support to learn, for example, a communicator, large print, personal care, specific equipment, or extra time, let us know. We will work with you to identify what you need and how we can best support you.
Learner Support Fund
If you are struggling to pay your exam fees or have a disability and need help to pay for transport to the course, we may be able to help you. Ask the centre staff or your tutor for more information and an application form. We have a small fund available to help learners who are experiencing genuine hardship. You are advised to apply as soon as you can.
How is this course supported by DerbyLearn?
DerbyLearn is a learning platform that supports and complements most classes. To find out more, please go to www.derbylearn.net and sign up, it's free and well worth a look!
Progression within DALS
We have lots of courses planned to ensure you have a variety of progression routes. If you are interested in another course, please ask for more information or telephone our helpline on Derby (01332) 717900 or firstname.lastname@example.org
On completion of this course, you could progress to:
- the next level of ESOL; L2 completers can move on to Functional Skills and then GCSE English
Health and Wellbeing
The slogan you see on our brochures and leaflets is:
meet enjoy learn achieve
This is because we believe that taking part in adult and community learning can open the door to new friendships, give you something enjoyable and worthwhile to do with your time, enable you to learn something new and give you a sense of achievement. That's got to make you feel good!
We have a number of rewarding volunteering opportunities both within DALS and with other organisations. These can offer you a number of benefits, including the ability to enhance your employment prospects, and the ability to learn whilst supporting others. If you are interested in finding out more about volunteering opportunities, please contact Pat Ward on 01332 642308 or email email@example.com You can also find information on volunteering opportunities on our noticeboards and website.
Village Learning Centre
Browning Street, Derby, DE23 8DN
Ample Car Parking
Ample Cycle Parking
Disabled Access to
Ground Floor only
Disabled Parking available
From the city centre, take A5250 road (Burton Rd),go along to the main crossroads with A5111 (Ring Road), turn left on A5111 Warwick Ave, take 2nd exit (straight over) at roundabout, continue and then take 1st right onto Village St and then we are on the left hand side next to Village Primary School. 01332 711371
Arriva No. 5, 5A
If you would like more information about this course or wish to enrol, please contact via:
Village Learning Centre
Browning Street, Derby, DE23 8DN Find Us
Send your enrolment enquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To pay by credit/debit card or for more information about this course, please contact us on 01332 717900.
Category A Fee:
Category B Fee:
You can also see more information on Fees & Reductions.
Note: Please bring evidence of eligibility for fee reduction to the first class.