What is Learner Support?
If you are on an accredited course (this is a course starting with ‘L’) and need additional help because of a disability or learning difficulty, there are several ways in which we can help you. We will do an assessment with you to plan how to meet your needs.
We may be able to help your learning with:
- a support worker
- a hearing loop
- special computer equipment
- large print
- a communicator if you are deaf.
If you are on a leisure course (a course starting with C) this has no accreditation. This means you could have a Learning Partner to enable you to attend the course.
Learning Partners Scheme
The Learning Partners Scheme was set up to give people with additional needs greater access to the wide range of Adult Learning Service classes across Derby. The scheme links volunteers with learners who have additional support needs.
Partners attend either daytime or evening classes as learners on an equal basis. The aim of the scheme is to provide appropriate learning support for the learner. This may be practical, emotional, or physical, thus promoting independence to enable them to join a class of their choice.
If you would like to know more about this scheme, as a volunteer or a learner requiring support, please contact the Learner Support Organiser 01332 642308.
Help with costs
If you are on an accredited course and in financial hardship you may apply to the Learner Support Fund for help with costs.
This fund covers:
- Exam Fees: Up to 25% of the exam may be paid by the Learner Support Fund. You will need to pay the rest of the fee.
- Tuition fees: support towards the cost of tuition fees
- Transport: We may be able to offer to pay part of the transport costs of learners who are receiving Disability Living Allowance and receiving lower rate mobility.
- Specialised Equipment: Learners who have additional needs may request specialised equipment which we will try to provide.
- Course related costs: e.g. books and small equipment
- Childcare: limited support towards childcare costs (specific conditions apply)
If you think you may be eligible to apply for any of the above funds please ask a member of staff for an application form. We cannot guarantee applications will be successful but we will let you know within three weeks of applying. You need to apply as soon as possible.
Allenton Bursary scheme
If you live in the Allenton Big local area you can apply for a bursary for up to £500 to pay for course fees and £500 to pay for childcare costs. For full details go to http://www.biglocalallenton.co.uk/bursary/