ESOL E3 (units) L1 (OLG)
ESOL E3 (units) L1 (OLG)
Allen Park Centre
Preparation for life
Entry Level 3
16 September 2019
17 June 2020
Monday between 09:30 and 12:00
Wednesday between 09:30 and 12:00
Between 8 and 12 learners.
NOTE: This course has already started.
ESOL E3 L1
What will I be learning?
You will be studying English used in work and everyday situations. Areas of study will include:
- Health and Sport
- Travel and Transport
- Friends and Family
- Work and Employability
- Hobbies & Interests
- Social Media
Speaking and listening:
- Listen for gist and detail (variety of topics)
- Ask for things and make requests
- Give verbal descriptions of events
- Follow instructions
- Share news
- Conduct a discussion (E3: 7-10 mins, L1:11-15 mins)
- Deliver a presentation (E3: 5-7 mins, L1: 8-10 mins) and answer questions from audience
- Give feedback to a presentation
- Do a role play
- Improve your pronunciation
- Read signs, notices, notes, letters and instructions
- Read and understand a variety of texts (gist and specific information)
- Recognise different types of text (memo, formal letter, report, etc.)
- Understand purpose of text (informative, instructive, persuasive, descriptive etc.) and tone of text
- Understand layout /textual features (headings, logos, captions, bullet points etc.)
- Recognise point of view (L1)
- Understand idiomatic language (L1)
- Fill in forms
- Describe an event
- Write a basic article/blog or formal letter (E3)
- Write a formal letter/balanced essay/blog, etc.(L1)
- Write an article/essay/blog for different purposes (to inform, persuade, etc.) (L1)
- Use complex and compound sentences
- Use correct spelling and punctuation
- Use paragraphs
- Draft a plan
- Use sequence markers and discourse markers (L1)
- Past, present and future tenses (simple and continuous) – statements, questions and negatives
- Perfect tenses (intro to Present Perfect at E3, others – L1)
- Modal verbs (including the past aspect at L1)
- Conditionals 1 (E3) & 2 (L1)
- The passive (L1)
- Adjectives (comparatives and superlatives) (E3)
- Linking words and phrases
- Phrasal verbs
- Prepositional phrases
- Discourse markers (L1)
Does the course lead to a qualification?
Entry 3: City and Guilds ESOL qualification at Entry 3 (reading, writing, speaking and listening)
Level 1: City and Guilds ESOL qualification at Level 1 (reading, writing, speaking and listening)
Who is the course for?
The course is for learners meeting certain eligibility criteria wanting to improve their English Language skills and achieve a recognised qualification
All learners must meet at least one of the eligibility criteria before they can join this course:
- Evidence of being an EU citizen – a passport or an EU identity card
- Evidence of a Refugee status
- Evidence of being an Asylum Seeker living in the UK for over 6 months
- Evidence of living in the UK for 3 years or more if not married to a British National
- Evidence of living in the EU for 3 years or more if from a non EU country
What do I need to bring?
Pen, paper, folder and a dual language dictionary
Are there any additional costs?
Exam cost for fee payers - £20.60 per unit
How will I know how I am progressing during the course?
Your tutor will keep a written record of your Individual Learning Plan (ILP) and progression throughout the course you are attending. You will also have continuous verbal feedback on your progression.
You will reflect on your own learning and record it on your Individual Learning Plan.
Your tutor will let you know when you are ready for an exam after which you can progress onto a different skill or a higher level group. Exams are offered on demand. Therefore, you will not have to wait until the end of your course to take an exam
Can I have help in the class?
If you need support to learn, for example, a communicator, large print, personal care, specific equipment, or extra time, let us know. We will work with you to identify what you need and how we can best support you.
Learner Support Fund
If you are struggling to pay your exam fees or have a disability and need help to pay for transport to the course, we may be able to help you. Ask the centre staff or your tutor for more information and an application form. We have a small fund available to help learners who are experiencing genuine hardship. You are advised to apply as soon as you can.
How is this course supported by DerbyLearn?
DerbyLearn is a learning platform that supports and complements most classes. To find out more, please go to www.derbylearn.net and sign up, it's free and well worth a look!
Progression within DALS
We have lots of courses planned to ensure you have a variety of progression routes. If you are interested in another course, please ask for more information or telephone our helpline on Derby (01332) 717900 or firstname.lastname@example.org
On completion of this course, you could progress to:
- the next level of ESOL
Health and Wellbeing
The slogan you see on our brochures and leaflets is:
meet enjoy learn achieve
This is because we believe that taking part in adult and community learning can open the door to new friendships, give you something enjoyable and worthwhile to do with your time, enable you to learn something new and give you a sense of achievement. That's got to make you feel good!
We have a number of rewarding volunteering opportunities both within DALS and with other organisations. These can offer you a number of benefits, including the ability to enhance your employment prospects, and the ability to learn whilst supporting others. If you are interested in finding out more about volunteering opportunities, please contact Pat Ward on 01332 642308 or email email@example.com You can also find information on volunteering opportunities on our noticeboards and website.
Allen Park Centre
Allen Street, Allenton, Derby, DE24 9DE
Car Parking Available
Limited Cycle Parking
Cycle parking - no dedicated shelter
Keypad lock on entrance
Disabled Access to
Ground Floor only
Disabled Parking available
Take Osmaston Road A514 from Derby to Spider Island and Allenton shops. After shops take second left into Allen St. The venue is on the left hand side. Email: Enquires@derbyals.org 01332 642300
Arriva No. 60, 61, 42 & 43
If you would like more information about this course or wish to enrol, please contact via:
Allen Park Centre
We are open: * Monday - Friday 9am to 4pm
Allen Park Centre, Allen Street, Allenton, Derby, DE24 9DE Find Us
Send your enrolment enquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about this course, please contact us on 01332 717900.